Week 17 Retrospective
What went well:
I’m really excited about the apps my student teams will be making. All the ideas are awesome, and this is super great! The three ideas are an app to: a) track and notify payment due dates of subscriptions and bills (although autopay exists, I think this is good if people want to know and be reminded that they’re paying perhaps, and this would be a consolidated place to get all of that information), b) connect caregivers with elderly people for one-time or long-term tasks, and c) display information regarding applying to US schools from Nepal.
What could have been improved:
I gave a lesson about GitHub, but this was the first teaching session I’ve one for this series where I just talked and wasn’t very interactive. I wanted them to try branching, merging, and pulling, but since full teams weren’t around, I didn’t have them do that.
I wanted everyone to use Mimir so they could access GitHub, and I realized Mimir does have web integration in that students can see the page resulting from writing HTML, CSS, and JS. But, their web integration doesn’t have CLI integration, which then means they’d have to copy and paste stuff from Mimir’s web functionality to Mimir’s projects that have a terminal. That seems annoying. But I also don’t really want to deal with students downloading different IDEs and twiddling with GitHub downloads on various machines and versions and all that. In the end, I just let them pick, and I’m hoping I won’t have to spend time debugging this.